For a long time, health matters have been important to travellers. But since the Covid-19 pandemic struck, everyone is taking travel health issues more seriously, even traditional sceptics on the topic. This renewed desire to stay healthy before, during, and after travelling to dream destinations, has inspired us to create this post on all you need to know about travel health in 2021 and beyond.
We are going to discuss the important things you need to know about Travel Health during this time of lockdown restrictions including:
- Face Masks and Social Distancing are staying
- Buy now, save later insurance policies
- Digital Health passports are the future
A New Normal
Travel health has literary been thrust onto our faces in the form of masks and this is a trend that is sure to continue into the near future. So Mask-Up!
Increased bio-security features at Airports and other ports of entry have become a new norm. Already Ethiopian Airways have completed the world’s first and most advanced bio-safe passenger terminal at Bole International Airport, Addis Ababa. The terminal features 30 self-check-in kiosks, 10 self-bag drop and 16 screening areas.
Travel Medical Insurance
No one goes on vacation with a plan to get sick! But, you need to prepare for such emergencies since life happens to all of us.
Safety has found its way back to the top of people’s priority lists. As a result, health insurance tips have become important. Read on as we add to your pool of knowledge.
What you need to know about travel medical insurance in 2021
Travel medical insurance is simply a contract/ policy that promises to cover emergency health care costs incurred while abroad. Different insurers offer different packages, therefore, you have to be diligent when buying travel medical insurance. International health insurance should cover the basics as listed below.
- Advance Payments for emergency transport and access to medical facilities Worldwide.
- The option to be evacuated for advanced medical attention is necessary since many countries offering quality safaris do not have medical facilities to match.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) is not common, however, they are not to be ruled out. Make sure the insurer also pays travel accident benefits.
- A sore tooth has a way of completely ruining a great holiday. Make sure your insurer covers dental health. Your safari experience may depend on it.
- Emergency travel assistance? Why not?
Post-Vaccine Border Entry Requirements
Travellers can expect a few important changes. Firstly, instead of moving around with a yellow card, the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (used to prove yellow fever vaccination), travellers will be able to use applications like the African Union Trusted Travel Pass which you can download here or the IATA Travel Pass to prove vaccinations. These travel health Apps will help verify the vaccination status of travellers eliminating confusion and delays during country entry.
Already many countries are allowing vaccinated travellers to move through their borders. This trend is likely to continue until it is the internationally accepted standard.
Travel Health 2021: Other Vaccines
After upwards of a year of restricted travel, we are all eager to explore the world again. However, the deadly Covid-19 virus is still out there, thus in order to avoid getting sick or passing the disease to our loved ones, we must stay vigilant. But, there were other diseases restricting border movement before Covid-19 hit.
You will still need to fulfil the prophylactic requirements of destination countries. So you will need to get the necessary vaccinations but like we mentioned above presenting this information to port entry officials will be easier as a result of the digitalisation of vaccination information.
Note: Travel Health Insurance in 2021 does NOT cover:
- Travelling Delays. Missed or cancelled flights are a good example of this is. Most travel health insurers do not cover missed or cancelled flights.
- Trip Interruption. As we have come to appreciate, a well-planned vacation or business safari can be suddenly interrupted. You need to guard against this and find neccesary cover.
- Trip Cancellation. There are very few times in the tourism industry that can compare with what we have just witnessed in terms of cancellations. You have to be protected against such
- Lost Baggage. This also includes protecting valuables like jewellery.
Luckily there are several travel insurance companies that will cover you for this. The most elite travel insurance companies are offering bespoke packages which will airlift you home in a private jet upon getting a positive Covid-19 test.
Again, we say, do not confuse travel insurance with international health insurance. Remember comprehensive travel insurance plans offer more but you have to take time to read the fine print.